Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My First VIPS Visit!

So since I absolutely hate talking in class and you will hardly ever hear my voice I decided that I would post how my first VIPS visit went.  I am at George West Elementary which is literally less than five minutes from RIC!  When I first arrived I parked along the street as I was told to do and headed towards the front entrance... This school is huge! You would never guess that this is an elementary schools but it is and it consists of 800 students grades K through 6.  So as I approached the four doors that consisted of the entrance every single one of them were locked so I curiously looked around for some sort of call button?!?! After I had finally made it into the building and up to my classroom my teacher Ms. Gagnon introduced me as Ms. Eastwood... Which I thought was just way too professional and kind of made me feel old...  

She then proceeded to tell me that they would be done with reading in a few seconds and handed me a stack of math papers.  She told me to look over them and that I will be calling a few students aside and working in groups with them.

My first group of students were so excited that they didn't have to do what the rest of the class was doing... but I honestly had no idea what I should have been doing with them so I asked them about the paper. And apparently they have already been over it like three times so I decided that we would do they same exercise (math sentences) and I'll just change the numbers.  They told me that they liked to use blocks when they did math so I thought that that was a great idea and we ventured across the room to get a small container of blocks. Maybe not the best idea... Once they had the blocks in their hands all they wanted to do was build towers!!!

So I decided to let them... When I told them, "Go ahead, build a tower," they looked shocked but were so excited! To see there little faces light up made me feel so good... but little did they know I had a plan.  After they were finished building their tower I made up a story...

Story- One day it was so windy that this huge tornado came and knocked some blocks off your tower... (I then let them take however many blocks off the top that they wanted to) Now how many blocks do you have left... They would give me the answer and I then I would have them give me the math sentence that they just made... Some kids could give me the sentence right off the bat while others needed a little help so I would simply ask them
- How many blocks was your tower build out of?
- How many blocks fell off when the tornado hit?
- Now how many do you have left?

Honestly I think I had more fun then the kids did!!! O yeah and we had a fire drill!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment